Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Reminder about The Rule of Three

This is just a note so that the next time I write, I will write about a so-called Rule of Three in composing and arranging that might be useful in assuring that orchestrations sound full and one's ideas sound interesting. Sufficeth it for now to say that The Rule of Three simply points out that when three things are going on at once, the music sounds interesting, thought-out, complete, regenerative.

It also has visual analogies, but I would have to learn more about visual creativity before I could speak with any legitimate expertise on the subject (ha!). So when you think of point and counterpoint and then ensemble playing as two or three distinctive visual elements separating, returning, passing, chasing, blending, then perhaps coming together, then you have a chance of having both a way of hearing and "seeing" your structure at the same time.

Sorry I can't do more today. Today is dedicated to educating myself on the ins and outs of Social Science research for my "day job."

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment