Saturday, June 27, 2009

The European Launch of the Jensen Leadership Seminar At Erasmus University, Rotterdam

(A NOTE: Please make sure to read the later post, "Revisiting The Jensen Seminar," for further discussion of the seminar and its methods, including some in-depth analysis of the pros and the cons of the seminar content and methods.)

The original justification for this trip was to attend the European Launch of the Jensen Leadership Seminar, presented by Michael Jensen, Werner Erhard, Steve Zaffron and Kari Granger, 8 – 12 June 2009, at Erasmus University in Rotterdam. The topic for the occasion: “Being A Leader and The Effective Exercise of Leadership: An Ontological Model.”

About 100 people from all over the world attended to explore a new approach to teaching leadership, from cabinet-level government leaders to undergraduate students, for five days of analysis of how one makes the transformation into being capable of meaningful and effective leadership, both personal and organizational. I could go into so much detail – after all, this is all we did from 9am to 6:30pm each day, plus outside assignments. Before the seminar I joked good-naturedly that I was about to embark on one of my favorite activities, navel-gazing ad nauseum, and at the highest –levels I’ve experienced yet.

I must confess that I entered this seminar experience perhaps a bit of an over-analytical attitude: I wanted to sit back and observe, to see if a single week of instruction could lead anywhere near the promises made of an innovative way of addressing the “being of leadership.” IN the end, I found the methods learned to be insightful and very useful in creating a sincere, circumspect, and even ethical leadership model, as well as a valuable way of looking at life for any person truly interested in making their interaction with the world around them more understandable and more productive. It was not a sprinkling of pixie dust, nor was it any sort of “self-help” event in which one leaves with an artificially inflated sense of self. No cheerleading, but a useful experience. I came away with the idea that any individual who wishes to lead or an organization that hopes to benefit from true, authentic leadership should embrace the concepts learned here.

The added benefit for me, personally, was absolutely falling in love with the people with whom I shared the week: My study group, Raymond, Javier, George, and tall blonde Judith. There was also her boyfriend Marc from London, the dark-haired Judith, Judith from the school in Switzerland, Toos, Marijn from Bulgaria, Johanna from Finland, Barbara from the U.S., Bill the Australian from Ireland, Bart the attorney, and so many others that I should probably not write more lest I forget to name someone who specifically was a great influence on me.

I know I’ve said this before and will no doubt say it again, but the Dutch people are such friendly, incredible people. I told blonde Judith recently that I truly felt welcomed into their circle, and I will always feel this way. As a group, they really reached out to those of us who were from other parts of the world and made us feel comfortable and welcome.

(A NOTE: Please make sure to read the later post, "Revisiting The Jensen Seminar," for further discussion of the seminar and its methods, including some in-depth analysis of the pros and the cons of the seminar content and methods.)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Eddie. It is amazing what this stuff provides to people.
    Richard De Mulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you, Richard! Please stay in touch. You are not blogging again? I will look at your web sites.

    ReplyDelete